Thursday, March 26, 2009

Zoho Writer

Zoho writer appears to be very similar to googledocs (which I thought was a great way to share and collaborate on an assignment).

I'm testing this out and will try to send this directly to my blog. I'm hoping it works! I'm going to test this the text editing to see the similarities to this and something like Microsoft. The text selection is limited but that makes sense. As an online application, it needs to consider only universal fonts available on all computers (besides, I don't think people are using something like this to design anything extravagant).
I like the color selector better than in Microsoft already!

I like how user-friendly this and googledocs are. The tools and interface is similar enough to microsoft that it is easy to figure out. Something like this is a perfect way to collaborate online because of it's ease of use and open access to everyone with an internet connection. It's hard to say whether something like this will ever take over for Microsoft anytime soon, but online applications are definitely taking a chunk out of the Microsoft market. I think some people are wary of keeping important docs on the web, especially anything with personal information, for security risks. But technology is changing and I think people and companies will start to turn to op line applications for day to day document use because they are free, easy to use and more versatile than microsoft in the way of sharing, exporting to the web, etc. This is also great for creating backups of work already started in Microsoft.

I personally would stick to googledocs because most everything else I have is google (blog, email, rss feed, etc) though Zoho writer is just about the same and I have no real preference to either.

*note: I had to cut and paste this entry in from Zoho because it would not let me publish to the blog. The settings were off. Aside from that, I have no complaints about Zoho.

No comments:

Post a Comment